SUNY Delhi seeks a dynamic, forward thinking and engaging Service and Repair Mechanic (HVAC-R) to join the facilities team.
Service & Repair Mechanics (HVAC-R) are responsible for the operation, maintenance, repair and installation of refrigeration and air-conditioning (A/C) equipment in a State facility. Incumbents, as specialists, are responsible for supervising and training other members of the operation and maintenance staff including skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled workers, in servicing and repairing refrigeration and A/C.
The types of equipment Service & Repair Mechanics work with include ammonia brine, freon, carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, methyl chloride and lithium bromide units, absorption cold generators, all types of coolers, refrigerators and freezers, air-conditioning units and systems, humidifiers, compressors, ventilators, cooling towers and other similar and related equipment.
SUNY Delhi prides itself on being a welcoming college community for all. Diversity, equity and inclusiveness are integral components of the highest quality academic programs and the strongest campus climate. The college seeks a wide range of applicants for its positions so that inclusive excellence will be affirmed.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Working knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment.
- Working knowledge of the properties and qualities of the various refrigeration gases and solutions.
- Ability to recognize and to rectify mechanical and electrical problems existing in HVAC and refrigeration equipment.
- Ability to train and supervise skilled, semiskilled and relatively unskilled workers.
- Working knowledge of methods, material, tools and equipment used in the HVAC trade.
- Working knowledge of applicable standards and plumbing and electrical code regulations.
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Campus under the supervision of the Energy Manager.
- Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and material of the HVAC Trade. Ability to train and supervise others.
- Ability to plan work, compile and submit material list for ordering
- Ability to calibrate controls, balance heating systems for both air or hydronic systems.
- Ability to operate energy management systems and interpret data and graphs for diagnostic information.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor.
- Working knowledge of the principles, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the plumbing and steamfitting trade.
- Working knowledge of building HVAC, Electrical, and Plumbing Systems.
- Working knowledge of hot water and steam heating systems and control devices.
- Working knowledge of the practices and techniques of welding, brazing and soldering.
- Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in making mechanical and routine electrical repairs to heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, pneumatic control systems and direct digital and other microprocessor controlled systems.
- Working knowledge of the construction and the safe and efficient operation of boilers, chillers, auxiliary heating, ventilating and air-conditioning equipment.
- Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in the maintenance, repair and balancing of building ventilation systems, air handlers, fans and hydronic systems.
- Working knowledge of energy conservation concepts.
- Ability to plan and lay out work and diagnose problems.
- Ability to read and interpret technical manuals, plans, diagrams, schematic drawings, architectural/engineering blueprints, and specifications.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Minimum Qualifications for the position are:
Non-Competitive: Successful completion of a NYS two-year Service & Repair Mechanic (HVAC-R) Traineeship or NYS two-year refrigeration repair and maintenance training program; OR successful completion of any equivalent refrigeration two-year training or apprenticeship program;* OR four (4) years of full-time experience in the mechanical or electrical trades under a skilled journey-level mechanic or electrician which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program, one (1) year of which must include both training and work in the operation and maintenance of commercial type refrigeration or air-conditioning equipment. Apprenticeship training in the mechanical or electrical trades or training gained by completion of technical courses in the mechanical or electrical trades at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of "C" or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
- Preferred EPA 608 Universal Refrigeration Certification, must have within 12 months of hiring
- Preferred NYSDEC - 7G - Pesticide Application Certification for Cooling Towers, must have within 12 months of hiring
- Full Time
- Status: Probationary / Permanent eligible
- Number of vacancies: (1)
- Class & Code: Non-competitive
- Unit: Facilities
- Grade: SG-12
- Starting Salary: $42,631
- Schedule: M-F 6:30 am - 3:00 pm
- Reports to: Energy Manager & HVAC Supervisor
- Location: Delhi Campus
- This position offers full New York State CSEA, benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country with an excellent fringe benefits package
- Click here for more Information for Prospective Employees
- SUNY Delhi has a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and Cultural Diversity. The College welcomes responses from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
- SUNY Delhi is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community for our students and employees. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Any offer of employment is contingent on the successful completion of the background check.
- Although the vacancies are in the areas indicated, the appointing authority shall have the right to direct appropriate transfers and reassignments of employees to other areas.
To apply, please submit:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
Date Posted: November 5, 2018
SUNY Delhi is an AA/EO Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/2hg2hhyph2p8f32y
Location/Region: Delhi, NY (US)