LOCATION: Human Resources, Bush Education Center, Elmira, NY
Full-time position (1.0 FTE), 7.5 hours per day, 12 months per year
- The work involves responsibility for the performance of highly specialized clerical functions relating to the processing and maintenance of personnel forms and records at the GST BOCES.
- The work is carried out in accordance with standard, well-established public sector personnel office methods and procedures and involves orientation of new employees, the maintenance of documents in personnel files, preparation of personnel reports and recording of data such as fringe benefit changes and personnel statistics, and preparation of civil service forms for filing with the Regional Civil Service Agency.
- Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Superintendent of GST BOCES or his/her designee, with some leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out standard tasks for which methods are clearly established.
- Supervision of subordinate employees is usually not a feature of this class of positions.
- Does related work as required.
The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here:
- Meets with new employees and directs their completion of required employment documents;
- Reviews, with new employees, all fringe benefits provided by the organization;
- Maintains insurance benefit records;
- Maintains computerized time and attendance records for employees and processes absence reports;
- Maintains personnel files for employees;
- Prepares a variety of reports of a personnel nature and a variety of correspondence and memorandums regarding personnel matters;
- Maintains Seniority Lists;
- May maintain updated listing of individual bargaining units and other figures and statistics;
- May review and advise employees on licensing and certification;
- General computer knowledge, e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel;
- Ability to deal with employees, other organization personnel, and other agencies with tact and courtesy;
- Ability to express oneself well, both orally and in writing;
- Reviews eligibility and/or option into joining NYS Retirement Systems;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This is a competitive Civil Service position. The selected employee must possess this title or be among the top three of a current, binding Civil Service list for the title, or if no binding Civil Service list, be in the top three after taking the required Civil Service exam for the title.
- Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and either:
- Completion of two years of course work at a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with specialization in secretarial sciences, business, accounting or closely related field and one year of office experience involving either personnel records maintenance or insurance/fringe benefit account keeping; OR
- Three years of office experience involving either maintenance of personnel records or insurance/fringe benefit account keeping; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of a) and b) above.
Other Preferred Characteristics:
- Thorough knowledge of the purposes and design of personnel documents utilized in the public sector;
- Good knowledge of fringe benefits applicable to agency employees; good knowledge of contents of personnel files;
- Good knowledge of computerized attendance recording procedures;
- Good knowledge of office terminology and procedures;
- Working knowledge of financial record keeping procedures relating to fringe benefits;
- Ability to compile statistics and prepare reports dealing with personnel related material;
- Ability to deal with agency or school employees with tact and courtesy;
- Ability to express oneself well both orally and in writing;
- Initiative and resourcefulness.
Salary: $35,000.00 - $38,000.00, commensurate upon related work experience, plus comprehensive benefit package.
Please complete your file by submitting the following information:
- Employment application
- Letter of interest
- Detailed résumé
- College undergraduate and graduate transcripts conferring degree
- If no college education, furnish a copy of high school diploma or GED
- One to three current, dated and signed letters of professional reference (must be less than 1 yr. old)
About this company
The Greater Southern Tier Board of Cooperative Educational Services provides educational leadership, services and support to meet the needs of our students and school districts.
We are called GST BOCES, but our full legal name is Schuyler-Steuben-Chemung-Tioga-Allegany BOCES.
Location/Region: Elmira, NY