Responsible for coordinating and supervising the work of employees in the general maintenance and upkeep of buildings, grounds, and equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Oversee the cleanliness, orderliness, appearance and sanitation of agency buildings, grounds, roads, walks and equipment through preventive maintenance and minor repairs on a scheduled basis.
· Ensure completeness of daily, weekly and monthly checklists on building equipment and maintain records of scheduled maintenance procedures.
· Organize staff schedules and assign work activities of the maintenance personnel. Provide training that covers equipment, techniques and procedures for agency facilities or systems.
· Responsible for hiring and firing of maintenance staff.
· Makes routine electrical repairs including but not limited to replacing exhaust fans, lighting fixtures, electrical outlets, appliances, light switches, ballasts and inspects electrical systems for unsafe conditions. Also, maintains and regularly tests working condition of safety equipment including fire alarm systems and emergency lighting.
· Maintain and repair plumbing fixtures including sinks, toilets, faucets, dispensers, fountains and pipes.
· Paint and repair roofs, windows, doors, floors, woodwork, plaster, drywall, and other parts of building structures.
· Operate and maintain a variety of mechanical tools and equipment such as power saws, power sanders, drills, air compressors, paint sprayers, sewer augers, and various hand tools required for carpentry, plumbing, and maintenance skills.
· Move furniture and equipment; assemble furniture and equipment for the purpose of providing items in working condition.
· Installs various items (e.g. backboards, office equipment, railings, fences, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects safely and within established time frames.
· Build necessary items (e.g. counters, temporary partitions, etc.) for the purpose of modifying and/or adapting facilities to specific needs.
· Responsible for coordination with administration and other vendors for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently.
· Ensure compliance with agency policies for bids, estimates and requisitions for materials and supplies for required maintenance/projects.
· Responds to emergency maintenance requests for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
· Performs outside custodial duties including but not limited to grass trimming and snow removal as required.
· Routinely inspects facilities to identify building maintenance needs.
· On-call as needed for emergencies.
· Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Five years of responsible experience in building maintenance and grounds keeping with some supervisory experience.
Qualifications and knowledge:
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of methods, practices, tools and materials used in building maintenance and repair work.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization.
- Excellent communication and language skills with the ability to take up roles and responsibilities on a pro-active basis. Must be confident with organizational ability and possess the capacity to multi-task.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret miscellaneous drawings and schematics.
- Ability to apply common sense and understanding of complex written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions applicable to building maintenance work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus to perform activities such as operating machines such as lathes, drill presses, lawn mower, power tools, power saws and mills where the seeing job is at or within arm’s reach; performing mechanical or skilled trades tasks.
- Frequent bending, crouching or squatting during building maintenance activities
- Pushing, pulling equipment or lifting heavy equipment or supplies
- Climbing stairs/ladders
- Walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time
- Operating assigned equipment
- Exposure to air contaminants, confining work spaces, dirt, electrical hazards, temperature extremes, noise, toxic materials and vibrations.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Our mission is to develop, establish and maintain multidisciplinary diagnostic and treatment services for developmentally and physically disabled persons and their families; plan and implement individualized programs designed to increase to the greatest possible degree the individual’s physical, social, intellectual, and emotional abilities; and enable developmentally disabled persons to remain in the community, develop to their fullest potential, and become independent functional members of society.