Single Copy Manager
Philadelphia Media Network
- Position Overview
- Department: Circulation Marketing
- Reports To: Director of Circulation Sales/Audience
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Job Status: FT
- POSITION SUMMARY
- This position will report to the Director of Circulation Sales/Audience. The position has responsibility for audience growth of the PMN's single copy portfolio, including The Inquirer, Daily News or national titles. This position is responsible for single copy sales and marketing, outlet and revenue growth, and draw, return, and sell-out optimization.
- The position will also have a responsibility to ensure that single copy outlet work and retailer relationships conducted for PMN are performed in a world-class manner. This will include developing solid operational practices, billing practices and customer service practices that meet and exceed both the retailers' and end consumer's expectations.
- The Single Copy Manager will also be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering on various financial and audience goals including but not limited to audience growth, expense, revenue and operating cash flow; anticipating declines and/or shortfalls in delivering on goals; and developing and executing plans to address declines and/or shortfalls for the products assigned.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed to ensure success for the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for knowing, communicating, and delivering on the core strategies for single copy revenue and cash flow targets. Identifies alternatives for delivering on strategies and targets when shortfalls are anticipated.
- Responsible for establishing an optimal footprint for each of the assigned newspapers. This footprint should include having a minimum of one sales location per 250 households.
- Responsible for the developing a comprehensive single copy plan which includes but is not limited to retail marketing programs, draw setting by location, and point-of-purchase marketing by location, all directed at growing copies and revenue.
- Responsible using reporting and technology to ensure optimize draw and return management to maximize revenue and minimize returns.
- Responsible for seeking out the best resources for billing and retail account communication practices, ensuring that the relationship with all retail partners is one that aides in the growth of each newspaper's total copies growth.
- Responsible for monitoring and minimizing all revenue losses driven by theft and scan-based differences and working closely with field operations to mitigate shrink.
- Works to develop the needed creative offerings to ensure the features and benefits of each product is communicated to its targeted potential buyers.
- Coordinates the production process for sales/marketing materials to include copywriting, graphic design, printing specs/quotes and printing.
- Works with Marketing to ensure scheduling of promotional media, signage and consumer messaging are linked to the newspaper's brand marketing programs.
- Works closely with the Newsroom to stay informed on content and news coverage plans in order to properly promote each product effectively on a weekly basis.
- Responsible for ensuring that all single copy marketing programs meet the needed ROI and targeted average rate per unit of sale as outlined in the newspaper's budget.
- Works closely with operations team to create and effective distribution process that ensures world-class delivery to single copy outlets within the newspaper's designated market.
- Responsible for the implementation of retail marketing sales programs to maximize single copy sales and revenue.
- Works closely with operations team to design and manage audit procedures to ensure drivers are maximizing sales and that all deliveries and associated paperwork are accurate and done in accordance with the best interests of the newspaper and its retail partners.
- Identifies inaccurate and possibly fraudulent record keeping that could be harmful to the newspaper or its retail partners and works with field management and finance management to help prevent any further harmful actions by drivers, retailers, or others.
- Works closely with the single copy returns clerk to ensure their work supports the overall objectives and mission of single copy.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities as assigned in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems as needed.
- POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and 2-4 years related experience and/or training, including at least 5 years of management level experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong, successful leadership ability and solid understanding of complexities of newspaper circulation, audience development, sales, distribution and marketing. Excellent written, verbal and organizational development skills.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the public.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as distribution fees, wholesale and retail rates, commissions, proportions and percentages.
- REASONING ABILITY
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid driver's license.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For Immediate consideration, apply to:
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News