JOB GOAL: To provide an approved special education program and establish a class environment that fosters learning and personal growth; to help pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for continued education; and to maintain good relationships with parents and other staff members.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: Instruction and Pupil Contact
1. Provides instruction to classified pupils in accordance with each pupil's individualized education program.
2. Works cooperatively with regular education teaching staff to coordinate instructional activities and to monitor the progress of each pupil and provides support instruction in the regular classroom or resource center as assigned.
3. Provides home instruction to confined special education pupils as assigned.
4. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a classroom climate conducive to learning.
5. Maintains records of pupil's educational progress in class record books and/or board approved forms and summarizes these marks for reporting purposes. Develops Lesson Plans and Classroom Learning Activities
1. Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction to meet the needs of each pupil.
2. Sets specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carries through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
3. Consults with members of the child study team regarding each pupil's educational program, academic program and personal growth.
4. Meets at least once annually with the case manager, parents and other professional staff to review and revise the individualized education program and placement of each assigned pupil.
Contact with Parents and Community
1. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school program and to discuss pupil progress.
2. Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program.
Planning and Coordination
1. Participates in the development of the district's plan for special education.
2. Participates in school-level planning, faculty meetings/committees and other school system groups.
Professional Contacts and Other Activities
1. Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through inservice education and other professional growth activities.
2. Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
Salary Range: 43,000 to 60,000