Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create a fast-paced, nimble and flexible environment of mutual respect, creativity, invention and teamwork. With access to Merck’s proven global R&D organization, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Clinical Veterinarian, under minimal direction and supervision provides clinical care, surgical support and preventative medicine programs for all species; consultation and collaboration with investigative staff for development of innovative translational models that impact drug development and discovery and improve human health; development and training of technical staff.
- Provides clinical veterinary care consistent with professional standards and assures compliance with all federal, state and local laws, regulations and guidelines for animal care and use.
- Uses technical and scientific expertise to plan, conduct and summarize complex nonclinical studies and projects and participate in scientific discussions surrounding drug development and the animal model development.
- Provide leadership and oversight on Operating Procedures (SOPs), regulatory guidance’s (GXPs), safety guidance’s and company policies and procedures.
- Determines possible solutions to difficult technical issues and, after consultation with the appropriate staff implements these solutions.
- Uses judgement to identify and solve problems of mild complexity.
- Collaborate with peers within and outside of the department.
- Under minimal supervision:
- Balance multiple projects
- Train directly and/or manage training program for training research staff in humane methods of animal care including but not limited to:
- Surgery and restraint of animals, as well as the proper use of anesthetics and analgesics
- Plan, organize and direct the health care and maintenance of research animals and provide leadership and technical expertise to staff.
- Will collaboratively contribute to research study design, data interpretation and presentation of conclusions and recommendations
• Required: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD) from an accredited program or a certificate of equivalent training accepted by the AVMA
• Completion of a training program in laboratory animal medicine or relevant experience
• ACLAM Board eligible/Board certified
• Completion of a residence program in laboratory animal medicine
• Previous experience in industry or academia
• Advanced degree (MS, PhD)
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Job: Research Science
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Location/Region: Kenilworth, NJ (US)