DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is routine and repetitive manual work calling for the efficient and economical performance of building cleaning and minor maintenance tasks. Cleaning tasks are performed according to a well established procedure, and maintenance tasks are performed under direct supervision or according to specific instructions. Supervision is received from a Custodian or other superior. Supervision over the work of others is not a responsibility of employees in this class. Performs routine building cleaning, yard maintenance and related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (The following work activities are listed as examples only and in no event shall an employee be limited to only those examples listed here.)
- Sweeps, mops, and waxes floors and stairs;
- Dusts desks, woodwork, furniture and other equipment;
- Washes windows, walls, blackboards, sinks, and other fixtures;
- Polishes furniture and metal furnishings;
- Empties waste baskets, collects and disposes of rubbish;
- Clears snow and ice from walks;
- May mow lawns, trim shrubs, rake leaves and perform a variety of other grounds-keeping tasks;
- May assist in the operation of a low pressure heating system;
- Delivers packages and messages;
- May place and remove traffic safety signs;
- Arranges chairs and tables and other equipment for special use of school building;
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms and kitchenettes;
- Repairs window shades, replaces light bulbs, soap and towels;
- Paints room and equipment and assists in making minor plumbing, carpentry and electrical repairs.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Working knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies and equipment; ability to follow simple oral and written instructions; willingness to perform routine cleaning and other manual tasks; ability to get along well with others; thoroughness; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: There are no minimum requirements for this position.
Location/Region: Elmira, NY