Real Estate Paralegal
Assists ABG attorneys with preparation of lease documents and legal correspondence to maintain lease agreements for rental locations. Analyzes and reviews leases to determine legal obligations. Creates legal reports with respect to lease expirations, option expirations and/or early terminations options, special projects and other real estate related reports. In addition, the position may require general support of the ABG legal team on non real estate matter such as subpoenas, contract review, litigation discovery, and small claims. Essential duties and responsibilities, shown below, will vary accordingly based on assignment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the preparation of lease documents, amendments, renewals modifications, letters exercising options, and general correspondence related to leasing issues.
- Creates monthly renewal reports with respect to lease obligations, including but not limited to noting lease expirations, option expirations and/or early termination options.
- Assists the organization’s attorneys with accurately creating other related real estate reports and special projects.
- Reviews and analyzes legal documents to ascertain contractual obligations.
- Works with the organization’s internal personnel and landlords to reconcile common area maintenance charges, rent obligations, real estate taxes and other related lease expenses.
- Responds to routine requests from landlords, other departments and/or regional offices with respect to leasing obligations. If necessary, escalates unresolved issues and disputes to attorneys.
- Reviews incoming mail and invoices and either processes requests or escalates potential issues to attorneys.
- Processes time sensitive documents, including Subordination and Non-Disturbance Agreements and Tenant Estoppel Certificates.
- Prepares and assists with lease abstracts and enters information into property database.
- Serves as an administrator for the property database, Visual Lease®.
This position does not have formal supervision responsibilities.
Responsibility Scope/Impact (only applies to job families and field positions)
- Level I works under the direct supervision of management or more senior paralegals to prepare and summarize basic legal information. Level l typically has a minimum of 2 years of paralegal experience.
- Level ll works independently on most routine tasks to prepare, research, and summarize more complex legal information. This position may be accountable for providing work direction to lower-level paralegals. Level II has a minimum of 5 years of paralegal experience.
Qualifications (may vary by level)
- Certified Paralegal designation.
Minimum of 3-5 years experience in a legal function
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Notary experience.
- Real Estate paralegal and/or property management experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience in a legal environment, preferably a law firm or other comparable environment.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and windows based applications.
- Knowledge and/or familiarity with property management, property database(s) and/or Visual Lease® is a plus.
- Requires excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be extremely organized, detail oriented and capable of working independently and as a part of a team.
- Must be able to multi-task and reprioritize work based on changing demands.
- File management and being able to consistently follow through on tasks is essential.
- Project management is a plus.
Minimal travel is required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, which may vary, based on job location, department or the assignment. The actual essential duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary by location, department, reporting structure or other business needs. No inference should be drawn that a specific job duty, responsibility or qualification is non-essential by its absence from this description.